Intel SandyBridge... I don't get it.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 20 22:18:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 02:05:09PM -0800, William Park wrote:
> Just thinking out loud...
>
> With Intel's SandyBridge cpus (i5/i7-2NNN) out now, why are they still selling
> old i3/i5/i7-NNN cpus?  I mean, who's going to buy them?

People with existing motherboards.

Sandy bridge has a different socket after all.

The real question is why the heck intel had to make yet another socket
change already.

So right now there are hundres if not thousands of motherboards models
for socket 1156 CPUs.  There are only a few dozen for socket 1155 so far.
Your choices are so far rather limited for the new CPUs.

--
Len Sorensen