USB, Toshiba

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 19 19:52:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 02:46:19PM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> There are different type of USB Hard drives, some require a power supply,
> some require 1 usb, some require 2 usb connections.
>
> I know I have a western digital, i think its specially made to use little
> power and 1 usb, though its also small (320 gb).

Well one usb 2 connector may be used to provide 500mA if the device asks
for it from the controller.  Without asking, 100mA is the max a device
may use.  Some systems can't quite do 500mA on one port reliably, and
some devices would like slightly more than 500mA.  So using two plugs,
you can get 600mA (ask for 500 and leach 100 without asking on the other).

USB3 will permit up to 900mA on request per port.

--
Len Sorensen