USB, Toshiba

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 19 16:29:04 UTC 2011

Duncan MacGregor wrote:
> Computer-built-in power supplies are often too weak to handle USB devices.

The computer power supply isn't the problem. The power available from a USB
port varies based on a number of factors. You can read more about the power
available from USB ports at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#Powered_USB.
You can have anywhere from 100mA to 900mA from a USB port. I was quite
amazed when I discovered the very small, external, 500GB hard drive that my
dad had asked me to get for him is fully powered from the USB port only. It
doesn't need any external power.