USB, Toshiba

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 18 17:40:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Jason Shaw <grazer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I would think that it should "just work" by mounting it.  Have you run dmesg
> when you plug the drive in/power it on to see if Linux notices something
> plugged in?  Take a look at /dev/ to see if there is /dev/sd[bcdef]1, which
> should be one letter beyond your optical drive (if you have one).  So, if
> your hard disk is sda, and optical drive is sdb, then your external drive
> will most likely be sdc.
> dmesg is your best starting point though as it will show you the device name
> so that you can mount it manually.
> -jason

Indeed, dmesg is important. I have an external drive that only seems
to work through the super-short cable that came with it, but not
through a longer cable or a hub, powered or otherwise. The power light
comes on but it doesn't get recognized - I suppose the power is
insufficient to actually make the drive go, blinkenlight
notwithstanding.