Hard drive noises

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 7 16:53:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Giles Orr wrote:

> The new drive "ticks" every once in a while, pretty regularly.  Very
> quietly, but not when there's any apparent drive activity.  So I've

Over the last few months I've purchased several 2TB drives that I use in
external enclosures (accessing them via eSATA or USB).  Each one exhibited
an occassional (but irregular) tick sound that worried me at first.  The
drives always seemed to be idle when I heard this.

I've since concluded this is part of the 'green' capabilities of the
drives.  I think the tick is the sound of the head being parked or
something else to do with it being shutdown.

> come up with a theory that the laptop power supply is producing a very
> slight under-voltage that could, perhaps, be damaging the drives over
> time.  So is this possible?  Likely?  And is there any way to check?

I don't think an under-voltage could damage the drive but it might be able
to damage the data on the drive.  I don't claim to be an electrical
engineer though :)

> Any alternate theories?  Or am I just paranoid?  Thanks!

A little paranoia can be a good thing :)

Remember: Backup any data that you care about.

In my cases the drives in question are _for_ backups.  The death of a
single backup drive won't hurt me too much even if it occured at the same
time that a system died.  The death of multiple backup drives
simultaneously would be concerning.

Cheers,

Rob

--