Does rsync delete unmatched files by default?

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 4 08:04:18 UTC 2011

On 10-12-20 06:48 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
>    I think the answer is "no", as long as I don't specify --delete, but I
> want to confirm.  I revently switched over to using rsybc to back up my
> main machine to an external USB drive.  It took a while<G>  because it
> was the first pass so it amounted to a straight copy.
>
>    My question is about future backups.  If I delete a file from the
> source, will it be deleted from the destination during my next sync?
> The script I use is below...
>
> #!/bin/bash
> rm /root/rsync_log.txt
> cd /
> rsync --archive --group --itemize-changes --links --owner --perms \
>        --progress --recursive --stats --times --verbose \
>        --files-from=root/include_rsync.txt \
>        --exclude-from=root/exclude_rsync.txt \
>        --log-file=/root/rsync_log.txt / /mnt/extd/image_i3/

FYI: you might want to take a look at duplicity

what i like about it, low-bandwidth backup, full and incremental
(change-set) backups, backup are secure and encrypted, it uses librsync

http://duplicity.nongnu.org/index.html

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-23-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.3