make a networked printer available to a subnet

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 3 22:34:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 01:05:02AM -0500, Thomas Milne wrote:
> Should this work automatically for a Windows client? Or do I need
> Samba to share a printer to Windows?

It's automatic for most linux systems, and Mac OS X systems.  Windows
being Microsoft has to do things it own way and hence makes it hard.

You can either share with samba, or you can actually use it directly
from windows.

So if you have a printer in cups named "My_Printer_123", then in windows
you can install a printer by asking it to add a new printer, tell it to
add a network printer and use the URL:

http://printerserver:631/printers/My_Printer_123 and then pick the right
driver for windows to use the printer of course.

Mac and Linux being natively postscript don't need drivers on the client,
Windows being stupid and making the client do the rendering work and
then sending tons of bitmap data across the network does need a driver.

--
Len Sorensen