ssh scp question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 3 22:29:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 04:13:50PM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> i notice when i do a scp from my linux laptop to my main linux box there
> is considerable delay before i am asked for a password to begin the scp
> op
>
> if i do this from my other linux box there is hardly any delay, what
> could cause the delay?

Usually reverse dns lookup timeout.

If the box you ssh to has dns enabled (and most do of course), it will
try to do a reverse lookup on your IP.  Of course if you don't have
reverse dns setup for your local network, this won't resolve, and the
dns timeout can take a while.

A hosts file entry for each local machine, or setting up a reverse dns
server for your local network solves it.

Or maybe you could configure sshd to not do a reverse lookup on incoming
connections.

--
Len Sorensen