Video Card Recommendations

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 3 22:03:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 12:44:45AM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> So, the consensus seems to be that I want an nVidia - is there a
> manufacturer that I should look for or avoid?  Is there an nVidia that
> doesn't have Linux support, or are they all okay?  Thanks for the help
> so far!

Nvidia has linux drivers for all of them.  Now whether your distribution
has packages for a new enough one for a brand new card is always a
potential issue, but usually not for very long.

Now some very old nvidia cards are only supported in legacy drivers these
days, and the oldest legacy driver (the 71.xx driver) no longer works with
current Xorg versions, but the 96.xx driver does, as do all newer ones.

--
Len Sorensen