Video Card Recommendations

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 3 06:35:10 UTC 2011

On 10-12-21 09:04 AM, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I am looking for a recommendation for a new video card, and I hope that
> the intrepid TLUG can help.
>
> Requirements:
> I would like to, eventually, be able to run a 1080p TV as a second
> monitor.  This is probably the tricky bit - but all of the cards I read
> about say Dual, and I don't know who to trust.
>
> Can run a few basic games - I have bought the Humble Indie Bundle the
> last two years, and some of the games exceed the capabilities of my
> onboard Intel GMA 3100 (though Aquaria, World of Goo, Gish, Machinarium,
> Osmos (a really beautiful game) and Samrost all work perfectly).
>
> PCI-e x16 is available on my motherboard.
>
> I'd prefer to spend less money rather than more.  I assume that an
> nVidia powered card is what I want - I plan to use the open source
> driver unless it is absolutely necessary.  I have a 22" LCD right now,
> running at 1680x1050, but it may get upgraded at some point.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thanks.

FYI: A while back I bought a video card from Galaxy
chipset: nVidia GeForce 9500 GT (Cuda cores 32, 512MB 128-bit)

it is running 2 HP L2445m monitors at 1920x1200 each, there is enough
juice in this low-end video card for flawless rendering

my monitor are 24" but they are huge and look more like 32"

The card has been running over a year with no problems, if you don't
game this is an ideal class of video card you're looking for

my card came with 2 DVI connectors and one s-video out

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-23-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.3