The main advantage of a pre-loaded OS...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 25 22:44:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 04:20:40PM -0500, Thomas Milne wrote:
> and drooling like crazy over them. I was _blown away_ by the demos at
> CES, what they could accomplish in a device the size of a smartphone.
>
> This was definitely NVidia's year.

The new ones being dual or even quad core ARM Cortex chips with rather
impressive 3D graphics support will be impressive.  Vastly more so than
intel's pathetic video on their atom systems.  Of course anyone that
wants a good atom buys one with an nvidia ion chipset.  Gee, seems nvidia
hasn't completely left the x86 chipset business after all, they are just
focusing on where there is demand for efficient high performance graphics
and especially video playback support.

Anyone that thinks what happens in the PC market is particularly relevant
is just not aware of the reality.  When Apple went from PowerPc to intel
people went "It's the end of the powerPC".  It didn't even make a blip.
Apple was completely irrelevant to the PowerPC market.  The x86 is
completely irrelevant to the electronics market as a whole.  There are
more ARM devices sold in a year than there have been x86 machines
ever made.  There were 6.1 billion ARM chips sold in 2010.  95% of smart
phones (and a fair number of the not smart phones) are ARM based.

If nvidia could manage to grab 10% of the ARM market for cell phones and
such especially the high end models that do lots of multimedia stuff,
they are going to be making some decent money.

--
Len Sorensen