Hard Drive Recovery

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 24 17:52:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 07:51:19PM -0500, John Myshrall wrote:
> I just had a USB back up drive die recently and was going to invest
> $40.00 and try to replace the PCB so I can recover data.  In a nut
> shell, neither of my systems will not power on with this drive
> installed.  Both have good power supplies. I have also tried a USB to
> sata connector without any luck.   Any suggestions?

OK, you seem to have said that both your machines power on fine, which
is good, except I don't think that's what you meant.

If the drive is somehow shorting the power to the point that the power
supply refuses to turn on when the drive is connected, then I highly
doubt a PCB change will help.  You may have lost the drive motor.

> Why am I trying to recover a back up drive? = long stupid story.  BTW I
> have most likely seen all the how to fix your hard drive videos on You
> Tube.  Hammers don't work....... really!
>
> I have sent a request for further information from these guys.
> http://www.onepcbsolution.com/index.html
>
> Anyone dealt with them?

No idea.

I just always remember my policy:

Any data only stored in one place is by definition not important.

Also a backup drive is a backup and the loss of the backup is hence
never a problem.

--
Len Sorensen