The main advantage of a pre-loaded OS...

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 23 00:03:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:49:13AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote

> Please record you findings somewhere that people will discover via
> Google.

  See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/238950 for the
full scoop on my "excellent adventure".

> | ffmpeg -y -f alsa -i plughw:0,0 audio1.wav
> |
> | How many of you have ever heard of "plughw:0,0"?  The OSS mode version
> |
> | ffmpeg -y -f oss  -i /dev/dsp audio2.wav
> |
> | is more readable.
>
> Surely ffmpeg is not a basic command.  There must be something more
> basic.  ffmpeg's flags are not simple either.

  The commands I show here are basic.  They can get a lot uglier.
Another reason I used ffmpeg in the sound recording examples is that I
also used it in the video (from the webcam) recording examples, not to
mention the combined video+audio recording example.  No point in using
yet another program to complicate things.

> I generally let Pulseaudio handle sound these days.  Many people
> detest it.

  Pulseaudio simplifies dealing with sound... in return for the added
complexity of dealing with Pulseaudio.  I'm neutral about sound
daemons... I hate them all.  ARTS, ESD, and now Pulseaudio.