clocksource=hpet

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 22 18:37:37 UTC 2011

FYI...

Ever since I upgraded from single-core (2.4GHz) to dual-core (3.2GHz), I've been
experiencing
    - hanging during boot, sometimes for short time, sometimes for long time,
sometimes forever.
    - reboot during boot, leaving nothing in /var/log/messages.
    - flaky operation for CPU freq scaling, ie. poorer performance with no freq
scaling.

At first, I thought it was due to VESA framebuffer, because ordinary VGA
(vga=normal) boots okey.  I tried all variations of "vga=NNN", but it was
unpredictable.  Sometimes, vga=773 will boot, and sometimes it will not.  I was
about to give up, until I caught a glimpse of
    Clocksource tsc unstable
scrolling by.  Googling a bit, solution was kernel parameter
    clocksource=hpet

Still doesn't solve my poor Flash Video playing, or inability to burn 2 DVDs,
though.

Try that before putting hammer to your machine.
--
William