Ubuntu / Gnome / panel oddness

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 22 13:27:37 UTC 2011

Hi TLUG,

A puzzle for you .. the panel at the bottom of my desktop shows a map
of my virtual desktops, next to the recycle bin. I use a 5x2 pattern
of virtual desktops.

---------------
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
---------------

It worked fine until something went BLARG a few days ago, and the
windows on my five or six desktops were suddenly merged into a single
desktop, and my 5x2 pattern had become a 2x1 pattern.

------
[ ][ ]
------

I opened up properties and added a row

------
[ ][ ]
[ ][ ]
------

and then started moving things back to where I could get back to work.
Later I reconfigured the properties and expanded it back to a 5x2
pattern, eventually I logged off. On logging back on, I discovered my
map had changed to

E ]E ]E ]E ]E ]

Each E ] was two virtual desktops -- all ten of my virtual desktops
are now contained in the top half of the map, and the bottom half of
the map is empty.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario