Burning 2 DVD simultaneously... slow

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 21 22:43:42 UTC 2011

| From: ted leslie <ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

[I think that I'm agreeing with you but I'm not sure.]

| I have set up a box to do 4 at a time, and experienced similar.
| the issue was, that in the burning, the process is assembling the iso
| (on the HD or in memory as it goes) and this takes CPU, at the time
| i just had single core.

I don't imagine that assembling the iso actually takes much CPU.  As
you point out later, it can cause a lot of seeking on the hard drive.

Do note that Lennart says the USB takes a fair bit of CPU.  I don't
know whether "a fair bit" is actually significant in this particular
workload.

|  If you have lots of small files as well
| you are looking at a lot of head movement on the HD,
| and also DVD burners can be quite fast, not as fast as a
| HD , but still pretty quick.

Sequential access to a DVD burner might be faster than random access
to the hard drive.  I've not tested or measured this so it is suspect.