Burning 2 DVD simultaneously... slow

ted leslie ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 21 20:20:50 UTC 2011

I have set up a box to do 4 at a time, and experienced similar.
the issue was, that in the burning, the process is assembling the iso
(on the HD or in memory as it goes) and this takes CPU, at the time
i just had single core.
if you have the ISO's all on hd, then to do 2 dvd burns you are just
reading from the HD (2 iso's concurrently) and writing to your two dvd burners,
but if you don't burn from pre-assembled iso files,
you are asking the burn process (both of them) so read
the files from HD and assemble them on fly,
then out to the DVD. If you have lots of small files as well
you are looking at a lot of head movement on the HD,
and also DVD burners can be quite fast, not as fast as a
HD , but still pretty quick. To rule out iso assembly issues,
you should attempt the dual burn from just ISO files,
and if your HD is say 2x faster then the combined throughtput burn
of your dvd burners, then you would expect the dual burn to take about
as fast as a single.

tl