Can Windows 7 tolerate changes in partition sizes?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 19 19:15:18 UTC 2011

Giles Orr wrote:
> Yesterday I repartitioned a Windows disk precisely as the original
> poster would be doing.
[snip]
> So I booted Knoppix from an external
> DVD drive and used gparted to reduce it to 50GB.  Windows got a bit of
> a surprise when it woke up after that, but it ran chkdsk itself (no
> need to do it by hand) and it's fine.

Thank you to Giles and everyone else who responded to my query. The only
time I touch Windows 7 is the rare time my father needs help with something
on his computer. The stuff I hear about recent versions of Windows and what
they do to verify they are running genuine copies of the MS OS made me want
to be sure I wasn't going to run in to any nasty surprises.

I will make sure the computer is fully backed up on to the external hard
drive he has and check if the backup DVD's were made. IIRC, the machine came
with a separate partition containing system setup and recovery software
(similar to the setup of my own computer).

I also make a note of the original partition sizes and make a backup copy of
sector 0 of the HD as an extra precaution in case things go screwy.