Why I've switched to Opera

Renata Rocha natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 18 19:19:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 00:13, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  There was an article on Slashdot a day or so ago about yet more
> cra^H^H^H "features" that the Mozilla people will be stuffing into
> Firefox.  Arrrrrgh.
>
>  The final straw came when setting up my notebook.  This is a
> relatively new laptop, with just 64-bit Gentoo linux, X, and a few apps
> installed.  Gentoo generally downloads source tarballs, except for a few
> binaries.  Here's what I get when doing "emerge -pv" (a "pretend"
> install in verbose mode) with *MINIMAL* dependancies for each of the
> browsers...
>
> Opera Total: 5 packages: 12,154 kB
> Firefox Total: 19 packages: 114,170 kB
> Chromium Total: 37 packages: 229,649 kB
>
>  No, the Opera download number is *NOT* missing a digit <G>.  See below
> for the gory details.

AFAIK Opera is NOT open source software - but rather "freeware" - , so
you're comparing a pre-compiled binary with packages you will download
the source and compile. If your point is to download the smallest
amount of data, I see no point in using Gentoo, which targets in
downloading full sources and optimizing them for better performance.

BTW I suggest giving Funtoo (Daniel Robbins current fork of Gentoo) a
try. I liked it when I tried. But now I'm a traitor and I use Steve
Jobs full of fancy stuff software, so I can't tell if it's still worth
it.

--
Renata Rocha
http://renata.org