laptop

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 17 22:47:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM, DEVON AITKEN <devonrose-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I bought a laptop a a couple weeks ago. When I bought the computer, I was
> told there was only one account and that this account was the super-user.
> But, I tried to delete a printer using "CUPS" (the printer manager) but I am
> told this is forbidden. Can I make a root account from my account or somehow
> get more control on my present account?

Devon:

What's the make and model of the laptop? Do you know what Linux Distro
they installed.

Suggestion. Boot the system using a LiveCD and mount your drive. Then
you should be able to remove root password from the /etc/shadow

2.3 Format of the shadow file

The /etc/shadow file contains the following information:

    username:passwd:last:may:must:warn:expire:disable:reserved

Just leave the password area blank and then you will be able to login
as root and change the root password.

--
Mark Lane <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>