Can Windows 7 tolerate changes in partition sizes?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 17 16:58:18 UTC 2011

Greetings, all.

My father has asked me about installing Linux on his computer. I'm not sure
what sparked the request but I'm happy to set it up to dual boot. His
computer is running Windows 7. I booted the machine using a live CD of
Ubuntu and verified that everything appeared to be working including the
printer and the WiFi adapter.

My concern is about whether the OEM version of Windows 7 that came with the
machine is going to complain about the change in partitions and/or partition
sizes and think it may not be an authentic install of the MS OS.

I am hoping it is ok but I read about issues with recent versions of Windows
and how some (a few?) system changes can lead to requiring the purchase of a
new copy of Windows as it will no longer accept its a valid copy running on
the same system.