Nine traits of the veteran Unix admin | Unix - InfoWorld

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 16 21:53:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:41:05PM -0800, E K wrote:
> Never gotten that. But, live CD's and compact distros like puppy are for times like that.
>
> Well, we have different views on sudo. I think of it as a way of renaming the supper username from root, others use it to elevate privilege every time they need it and clearly you don't like it. That is why someone said "Unix is different for different people. it is never everything for anyone."

sudo has a few good uses.  But if I actually need to do a few things as
root, I will 'su -' then do stuff as root, then exit.  Having to type the
password to su to me means I don't do stuff as root without thinking.
sudo actually makes becoming root too easy and sticking sudo in front
of things can become a bad habit.

--
Len Sorensen