Watson and Jeopardy

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 16 21:35:26 UTC 2011

On 16/02/11 11:07 AM, John Myshrall wrote:

> I wonder if Watson was joking or being merciful if that is even remotely
> possible or that someone on IBM intervened.

I had the same feeling - that some person put the brakes on. With so
many right answers prior, it seems impossible that its best guess would
be Toronto. Any U.S. city with two airports would have been a better guess.

There weren't many opportunities to observe the response when the
machine is actually stumped. Maybe this is the fail safe response - try
and be funny.

> Toronto was so far out in left field it fails on the first litmus test.
> The answer was followed by many question marks and it only wager
> <$1000.00 yet it had a $25000.00 lead.

I thought the final wager was way too low. The previous "double
jeopardy" wagers seemed too low, as well. I don't think any human player
would have bet so low, knowing how the game has been going, and their
own abilities.

I didn't see the first show, so I can't figure out how the humans could
have been so close in score from the previous day. It seemed to me that
some fine tuning had gone on between the first day and the second day,
to maximize the response time. It seemed to me that the computer had
super-human ability to hit the buzzer as soon as it had it's response ready.