Nine traits of the veteran Unix admin | Unix - InfoWorld

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 16 20:41:05 UTC 2011

--- On Mon, 2/14/11, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Nine traits of the veteran Unix admin | Unix - InfoWorld
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 02:09:14PM
> -0800, E K wrote:
> > That is funny but true! Particularly, the last one.
> >
> > Well, I use 'sudo bash' which is effectively is
> equivalent to su. Too lazy to assign a password to root:-)
> Also, a system without root password is a little more secure
> than one with root password.
>
> And how do you deal with 'you need to run fsck manually,
> please enter
> root password to continue'?

Never gotten that. But, live CD's and compact distros like puppy are for times like that.

> sudo only is a nice theory, but no more than that.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Well, we have different views on sudo. I think of it as a way of renaming the supper username from root, others use it to elevate privilege every time they need it and clearly you don't like it. That is why someone said "Unix is different for different people. it is never everything for anyone."

EK