Software to forward to SMS/receive from SMS

Ellie Frost web-d7rjRpVnz4HL3mmD008VJw at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 16 06:04:04 UTC 2011

On 13 February 2011 15:59, Thomas Milne <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend software that lets me do fun things with SMS?
> Like perhaps sending messages to and/or from my home computer, or
> otherwise interacting with a home system over SMS?
>
> At first I was just looking for a way to get e-mail to SMS, but I
> found this list:
>
> http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux_sms.html
>
> and some of it sounds kinda fun. Just don't want to 'trial and error'
> if someone already has some experience :-)

I've seen a couple of neat hacks [1][2] using a web service called
Twilio (twilio.com). It's basically a web gateway that allows you to
easily integrate voice/sms into other applications. It's not free (as
is to be expected, really) but you get 1500 free texts off the bat
($30 / .02/message) that should be enough for quite a while.

Ellie

[1] http://anerroroccurredwhileprocessingthisdirective.com/2011/01/01/opening-a-door-via-text-message/
[2] http://sunlightlabs.com/blog/2010/more-about-door/