Nokia to use Window mobile 7

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 14 00:50:19 UTC 2011

  Nokia made damn good "dumbphones".  I've had a Nokia 6015i "candybar"
for years, and it's still going strong.  It has an ability to make and
receive phone calls that "smartphones" can't match.  Oh, and I can't
"hold it the wrong way" either <G>.  Someone has already pointed to the
article at...  http://www.asymco.com/2010/12/27/the-85-smartphone/ but
that won't be the real cause of the demise of "dumbphones".

  The real cause will be the greedy incumbent cellcos.  Just *TRY*
getting a smartphone from a cellco ^WITHOUT A DATA PLAN*.  The ultimate
in greed so far has to be the Verizon/Xoom fiasco.  Wanna buy a Xoom?
OK, but you can't use the wifi *UNLESS YOU BUY AT LEAST ONE MONTH OF A
DATA PLAN WITH VERIZON*!!!  See...
http://www.examiner.com/technology-in-columbus/verizon-locking-wifi-on-the-motorola-xoom-until-one-month-of-data-is-purchased
and
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-and-Notebooks/Motorola-Xoom-Pricing-Confounds-Consumers-Analysts-804337/

  The ultimate goal for BRAT (Bell, Rogets, And Telus) is a situation
where you can't get voice-only cell service, but will be required to pay
for a data plan that you don't want/need.  They have stopped purchasing
"dumbphones", and therefore the market is evaporating.  I wonder how
long my Nokia 6015i will last.