Nokia to use Window mobile 7

Fabio FZero fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 13 17:05:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 23:11, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>    Elop said while he did explore the Android option, differentiation
>    would have been difficult.
>
> How can you differentiate with WinPho7?  Has Microsoft given them some
> kind of exclusive?

This is the bit that I find hard to believe too. I personally have
used three alternative Android ROMs and they can change quite
radically the way the phone works. The Win7 Phone interface, on the
other hand, follows a very well defined set of guidelines. While this
is good for consistency, it will certainly hurts customization.

If MS lets Nokia customize the Win7 UI too much, this it's going to be
a disaster. Why? Just look at that UI disaster that is Symbian.

I hope they're wise enough to strike a balance on this.

- FZ