Nokia to use Window mobile 7

ted leslie ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 11 19:48:18 UTC 2011

makes perfect sense,
if they and intel (and the community) didn't really get moving on
Meego  it wouldn't be a stellar platform.
I was hoping Meego would rule the day (the mobile OS of choice for
Linux Fundation, i.e. "the" linux mobile OS).
But as it was stated in the article, nokia wants to differentiate, so
they either had to rule the world with Meego (and in doing so unseat
android - is this likely to happen?),
or make phones for Apple (no can do), so that left the only choice, be
the main Win7 mobile phone, which fortunately if Win7 mobile is as an
improvement as Win7 is over XP,
it may work well for them. It may not increase their market share, but
it will probably halt their down turn of late. If its a good
partnership it will appeal to many business
that will not look to iPhone or Droid because they want some windows
(perceived) connectivity, synergy.

Since I develop on mono/moonlight (.net/silverlight), doesn't matter
to me really, as there is mono for iphone, mono-droid, and of course
mono/moonlight naturally on Windows,
so I can deploy to anything, BUT apple restrictions enforce their GUI
calls within apps, so mono-touch (mono's iphone platform) required
special version of app for iphone,
so the only thing I hope for is that iPhone dies, and dies quick,
which fortunately with androids growth should happen sooner then
later. Of course nearing iPhones death,
they will naturally open it up, and then cater to devs and say how
wonderfully open it is, but by then too little too late. So i will
just stick to moonlight and deploy just fine
to  just about everything device except iPhone, and then with iPhones
my non-gui code will work, just have to make iPhone based gui rework
of app.
I am hoping for an app. i am building now, that doesn't have to be
IPhone Store approved, that I can deploy it "pure mono" to Iphone, but
not sure that is doable yet,
and not sure if Apple will allow silverlight on its platform
(eventually), or that mono community will make a "non approved"
version, similar to how they provide
mono to PowerPC macs, where as MS provides .net/silverlight to IntelMac.

tl