$1k ThinkPad Canada Coupon Code | Employee Pricing Event

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 10 16:21:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:20:55AM -0500, Digimer wrote:
> Can anyone vouch for Dave? Name isn't familiar to me, and I'm catching a
> wiff of spam.

The coupon is valid.  I got that in the lenovo email this morning.

As for the 'Compensated Affiliate' link bit, I have no idea.

I got my thinkpad almost two years ago with one of these coupon sales.
If getting one to run linux I would make sure to:

- Get nvidia or intel graphics, not ati/amd.  Note that if it is a very
new model with nvidia graphics with 'optimus' support, then linux can
NOT use the nvidia at this time, only the intel.  Hopefully nvidia will
fix that eventually.  The 'optimus' has both intel and nvidia graphics
and switches between them depending on the current 3D demands.

- Get intel wifi (5100 or 5300 works perfectly, I think 1000 works,
but never tried it, and 6000 series hopefully work by now as well,
but again I haven't tried it).  Other brands are hit and miss in linux.

- Fingerprint scanners can be made to work in linux with some effort
(which I haven't bothered to do yet), if such a thing seems at all useful
to you.

- I think it is crazy to NOT get a CPU that has virtualization support,
so picking the right CPU option can matter.  Picking a power efficient
CPU can extend the battery life a lot, without having to go to the larger
battery (or make the larger battery even better).  I spent an extra $100
(- coupon) for a low power CPU when I got mine, which certainly helps
the battery life.

--
Len Sorensen