GMail to Mobile won't work

Andrew Malcolmson andmalc-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 10 15:48:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Thomas Milne
<tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Andrew Malcolmson <andmalc-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> @Myles & James:  Thanks, email sending from Gmail to <my cell
>> number>@pcs.rogers.com works for me.  For some reason triggering
>> forwarding using a filter doesn't but that's for another day.
>>
>> @Thomas: I didn't have any issues with the confirmation code.  It was
>> only 8 characters long.
>
> Yeah but it comes _after_ the 140 character limit, so it's impossible
> to retrieve. If you know of some other way to retrieve the code, there
> are about ten thousand GMail users who would very much like to know
> it.

The confirmation text I copied from my phone (HTC Dream) starts as
follows:  "Gmail Team (Gmail Forwarding Confirmation (#54074357) -
Rec)".  The confirmation code starts at 45 characters from the
beginning.

Do you have a Samsung Corby Pro?  These phones have an issue of
misformatting SMS so messages take up more characters than they should
until a text format setting somewhere is changed from Unicode to GSM
Alpha.

> Some people claim that there was some way to get it to show up in the
> subject line, but even then you only get the first five numbers.
>
> Seriously, check it out:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6jzga2y

These search results stop after July of 2010.  Apparently Google fixed
the problem, so whatever is happening for you is something different.