GMail to Mobile won't work

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 8 22:25:51 UTC 2011

Yeah, this is what I was trying to do. Unfortunately, GMail has
blundered this one HUGE. What they did is implement a security feature
where they send a confirmation code to your phone. Unfortunately, the
code comes _after_ the 140 character limit on SMS messages. Pure,
unadulterated stupidity, which they have known about for at least a
year. GMail and Google forums are replete with people begging them to
fix it, to no avail.

Yahoo charges a fee to forward to SMS (???), and Hotmail for some
reason supports every provider except Virgin. God forbid they just let
you forward to the SMS email gateway manually, but you know Microsoft.
So far I have not been able to find anyone who will forward to SMS
without some kind of insane hassle.

Facebook will begin it's e-mail messaging system soon, and they easily
forward to SMS. I'll just use that. I'm certainly not going to pay 10
or 15 dollars a month for a data plan just so I can get a few e-mails.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Myles Braithwaite
<me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Gmail doesn't support forwarding to SMS persay. You have to forward to your SMS's gateway email address which is different per service.
>
> [10digitnumber]@txt.bell.ca
> [10digitnumber]@pcs.rogers.com
> [10digitnumber]@fido.ca
>
> It may cost some extra money to do this.
>
> ---
> Myles Braithwaite
> http://mylesbraithwaite.com | me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org
>
> On 2011-02-08, at 11:03 AM, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Thomas Milne
>> <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote
>>>
>>> Anyone using GMail to receive texts on their mobile? I tried to set up
>>> GMail to forward mail to my phone, ...
>>
>> I'm trying to replicate this but don't see where exactly you enable
>> SMS forwarding.  I looked at the 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' tab in the
>> Gmail settings and see the option to select an email address to
>> forward to but nothing about SMS.  I also looked through the 'create
>> filter' screens.
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

TBM