Flash Video -- help!

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 7 21:35:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 12:31:26PM -0800, William Park wrote

>         1. Should I upgrade the video card to GeForce 430 ?
> I borrowed GeForce 250, and did see some improvement but not that
> much.  GeForce 430 is advertised to be better at "multimedia" things.
>
>         2. Should I get a whole new computer?  Eg. i7-870 quad-core
> which goes up to 3.6GHz, assuming Turbo Boost works.  My current
> computer is already 3.2GHz dual-core, so I don't think similar i3/i5
> will bring a substantial speedup.

  Before you buy anything new, make sure you're using your current gear
to its max.  I had issues recently getting live HDTV 1920x1080 streams
from my HDHomerun tuner to play smoothly on my notebook.  The problem is
most likely in your implementation of drivers for your card.  In my
case, it involved loading the firmware blob for the Radeon chip.  And I
can now follow live HDTV on the laptop.  First step is to plow through
your...

1) bootup logfile /var/log/dmesg

2) X session startup logfile /var/log/Xorg.0.log file

...and look for problems.  If you're unsure, try file-attaching the log
files so we can pore over them.

  While we're at it; if someone could point me to a comprehensible
explanation/tutorial on how to set up MTRR, I would greatly appreciate
it.