CRTC Internet Ruling To Be Reversed

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 3 18:45:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 01:04:01PM -0500, William Muriithi wrote:
> Really great news.  I saw it Friday somewhere in google news, but the
> language was not as strong.  This sound better but we got to wait.
>
> It will be the second decision CRTC has made just to see it overturned
> within an year from each other. The good news is if they keep doing
> this, CRTC will become irrelevant, or at least make them shy of
> pushing the telcom interest too much at the expense of the consumer.

Well my wife claims the CRTC is just doing their job interpreting the
current laws as they see them.  If parliment thinks they are doing
it wrong they should go fix the broken laws the CRTC is basing their
decisions on.

After all, would someone like teksavvy be permitted to build their own
cable network in toronto and start offering competing service to Rogers
and Bell or do they somehow have a monopoly on that?  Is there anywhere
that has more than one cable TV network in the same street?  I know Bell
is starting to roll out fiber based TV, although using ADSL2 over the
telephone line for the last little bit, so they aren't really putting
new infastructure in place where rogers has cable.

> Anyway, no decision yet so lets wait and see what will be born

Yep.

--
Len Sorensen