DreamPlug plug computer

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 2 15:41:34 UTC 2011

On 02/02/2011 10:10 AM, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I always struggle to figure out how the average guy could use these
> plug computers at home. For example, my Debian home server died. It
> was a P2 with 128MB RAM (maybe 256) and a 40GB drive. It was all I
> needed for a file, mail and print server.
>
> Would one of these plug computers be a good replacement? I love the
> small size and the low power consumption. Could I add an external
> drive and configure the unit for a similar server as before? Or is
> this the wrong application altogether?

That's exactly what there targeted at. If you look into some of the
commercialization of Sheeva Plug (the Dev kit before the DreamPlug)
you'll find a lot of Personal NAS and Print Server options.

Plug Apps has a decent break down on the available units and
instructions on how to install their distro on them (nothing stopping
you from install something else though, just takes a little work).

http://www.plugapps.com/index.php5?title=Portal:Hardware

--
Scott Sullivan