Ubuntu first time

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 31 20:08:53 UTC 2011

| From: Antonio Sun <antoniosun-N9AOi2cAC9ZBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>

| Press 'meta' key (aka windows key)

Interesting.

The conventional mapping is to use the ALT key whenever Meta is called
for.  For example M-B (Meta-b) in EMACS conventionally means "back one word"
and is typed by holding down ALT while hitting the B key.

Conventionally, Meta is a kind of shift key (see also Bucky Bits
(Bucky, as in Buckminster Fuller, was the nickname of Niclaus Wirth at
Stanford)).  The Windows key in Gnome 3 shell, at least for this use,
is not a shift key.  When I play with it, it doesn't seem to act as a
shift key.

So I don't think that calling the Windows Key "the meta key" is a good
idea.  Perhaps it could be called the "System Key" but it really is
the Windows Key -- it has the trademark engraved on it.

Now that I'm living with the Gnome 3 shell, I've used the Windows key
regularly for the first time in my life.