Ubuntu first time

Digimer linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 30 18:35:36 UTC 2011

On 12/30/2011 01:24 PM, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Used am to CentOS. For years.
>
> For certain reasons I installed Ubuntu on my main desktop at home, the
> latest one.
>
> And am frustrated enourmously.
>
> Yes, its Ubuntu Software Center works great. Unfortunately, if I wanted
> to use Ubuntu at school where I have a small part time work I could not
> - they have no Internet.
>
> However, I am sick with the menu on the left. Why these icons are so
> large? The idea about this menu must have been invented by an insane
> Windows users, right? Why i can not add my own icons of programs to
> upper horizontal menu?Where is terminal configuaration? Why do I have to
> click so many times to open a terminal? Where are terminal tabs? Why I
> can not change screen window with a one mouse movement and a click? Why
> firefox needs a new configuration? Ughrr...

I left Ubuntu for Fedora when Ubiquity replaced Gnome. That said, it's
not influenced by windows; It's influenced by tablets. They're aiming
for touch-screen users. I've not used it, but Mint is a gnome-based
Ubuntu derivative that is getting a lot of good reviews.

In Fedora as of 15, gnome has been been upgraded to version 3. Many
people don't like it, as it's a dramatic departure from Gnome 2. The
top/bottom panel we've seen for over a decade is gone there, too.

It seems that all the major GUIs are re-inventing themselves for various
reasons. I decided to forget how I used to work and try to understand
the intended work-flow of Gnome 3, and now I love it. I actually find
the old Gnome 2 frustrating.

All of the new GUIs will take time to get used to, but it will go a lot
easier if you don't try to hang on to old ways. Remember, when Gnome
came out, it was a dramatic shift from what came before and required
re-learning. Heck, GUIs themselves were a major shift.

Personally, I think the new designs are long over due.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron