mobile access - is it possible to get connected to IP?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 28 15:09:58 UTC 2011

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Here is Russia mobile internet access is quite popular. They sell
> mobile modems, similar to these memory keys, for USB.
>
> I did not figure out yet how o use it. Some companies claim that it is
> supported on some versions of Linux, but no instructions are
> available. On another hand, the latest Ubuntu version I have has a
> something that looks like configuring a broadband 3G wireless access
> in its network configuration.
>
> I wonder: is it possible to access a computer, from the internet, that
> uses that kind of connection? Let say that I use that mobile modem key
> and run a web server on my computer. Is it possible to get access to
> my web server from the wired internet? I guess that that that may
> depend on security policy of the company providing the mobile access.
>
> Right?
Without knowing the device in question, I can't really say.  However, I
did try a Rogers "Stick" in my Linux computer and it was recognized as a
dial up modem.  As for whether you can reach your web site, that depends
on whether the carrier uses a "private address" (RFC1918) for that
device.  My Android phone on Rogers gets one of those, which means it's
not publicly reachable.  This sort of problem will disappear, when IPv6
becomes common.  With it there are plenty to hand out.  In fact, my own
IPv6 subnet is a trillion times the entire IPv4 address space.