Any tips of decent web hosting companies based in Canada?

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 27 17:16:17 UTC 2011

Robert Brockway wrote:
> The only enforcement option the RIRs have is through the courts, so it
> really comes down to whether a Canadian court would enforce an attempt to
> remove a resource from a Canadian organisation.  It seems to me that they
> could only do this subject to Canadian laws and treaties.
>
> My point is that if the US government went after Canadian organisations
> they would do so directly using whatever options Canadian laws and
> treaties gave them.  The RIRs just don't fit in well here as far as I can
> see.  If a court order was made then ARIN would presumably update it's
> whois database to reflect the change.

Traditionally it's been easier to hand out v4 space than to pull it back.
If SOPA did result in a US court finding against a Canadian ISP, you'd
still find its Canadian upstream BGP-advertising the prefix, listings in
RADB and such, and even if ARIN were to change its database entry for the
space as required by law there, the prefix would still be hanging on.

The key is that US entities would be required to follow SOPA, while
Canadian ones not so much.  The line gets blurred with wings of US
network carriers operating in Canada and contract terms between Canadian
and US firms.  Either way, if your path to the rest of the Internet is
through the US and a court there decides there are too many filesharers
in your netblock you're probably out-of-luck.

If SOPA starts looking like a bad stink this side of the border, and we
don't go down the legislative path together, then you might see more
emphasis on Canadian providers interconnecting with each other and with
transatlantic and transpacific partners: interpret the US as damage and
route around it.  This might also lead to a Canadian-flavoured RADB to
track prefixes deallocated in US databases.

Attempts in the US to reallocate such prefixes, or announce blackhole
routes, might result in various routing problems here or overseas.

People wanting to host pirate servers here to serve the US market would
likely make the situation worse as the US attacks the chunks of
Canadian address space they show up in, and make it harder for the rest
of us to access US websites if we're originating from banned blocks.
You might see legit websites having to geolocate more just to steer
customers on each side of the wall of brokenness to a server on the same
side.

IPv6 has a slightly different allocation model, with a major block going
to each Tier 1 backbone provider for suballocation through its various
affiliates and resellers.  If your Canadian provider is working under an
allocation from a US Tier 1, then there are chances your netblock can be
yanked more directly.  There is the chance that there'd be momentum
toward a Canadian Tier 1 as a result of this mess.

--
Anthony de Boer