PC Routers

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 23 18:39:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 07:07 PM, Anthony de Boer wrote:
>> You could open a ticket with your provider asking them to properly
>> enable autonegotiation on your port, reminding them that it's the 21st
>> century now.
>
> I haven't had any luck on that one with the colo facilities I've dealt with.

Indeed.  If there's a network admin that still holds tenaciously to
some elder Cisco-ish superstitions, then there's a big "good luck on
that"...

This falls into the self-polarizing-deception described in _Mistakes
Were Made (But Not By Me)_
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistakes_Were_Made_%28But_Not_by_Me%29

Once people have committed to particular positions, arguing them into
an opposite position is frequently not merely likely to be
unsuccessful, but rather may have the counterproductive effect of
making them hold even more tenaciously to their position.