PC Routers

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 23 00:07:29 UTC 2011

Neil Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:39:43PM -0500, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> >gigabit switch, and all the servers had gigabit NICs, the best we
> >could manage on the servers was 10Mb/s. The colo facility's Cisco
> >switch was configured to be 100Mb/s and consumer-grade switches like
> >the D-Link apparently don't auto-negotiate down to 100Mb/s as I
> >thought it would. It fell to the lowest common denominator, 10Mb/s.
>
> I blame Cisco for this.  Cisco often recommend manually configuring
> their switch ports to a set speed.  This often breaks auto-negotiation.

I'm aware of at least one colo facility in the GTA that uses Cisco gear
and buys that old chestnut.  The story as it was told to me was that
first generation Sun and Cisco Fast Ethernet (100MB) gear didn't quite
autonegotiate correctly and that was the workaround needed back then,
with it subsequently hanging around like a bad superstition.

With a managed switch, or mii-tool on a Linux box, you too can force
your port to a manually-agreed-on speed and duplex and join the cargo
cult.

You could open a ticket with your provider asking them to properly
enable autonegotiation on your port, reminding them that it's the 21st
century now.

If they're still running gear that can't autonegotiate, I could put
them in touch with my buddy who works for the Ontario E-Waste Recycling
Program.

--
Anthony de Boer