PC Routers

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 18:08:41 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 08:41 AM, James Knott wrote:
> That board linked to in a previous article has only 2 Ethernet ports.
> This means a switch will be required, if it is used with more than one
> computer.

I was referring to the router with 4 switch ports. That's often
sufficient for people. We're talking about two different things,
apparently. :)

> As for that D-Link, there may be problems with some devices, but that
> doesn't rule out what I said.

According to the network guys at the colo facility, this is something
they've seen with all unmanaged switches.

> Unlike hubs, switches have a separate
> interface for every port. This means each port can negotiate (or be
> configured in managed switches) to any speed (actually bandwidth). The
> switch will then move the data around between the various ports as
> required. There is no place within the switch, other than on the line
> side of the interfaces where you have speeds such as 100 Mb. The switch
> bus will have some maximum amount of capacity or bandwidth, with which
> to handle all the traffic. On some switches, it may be possible to bump
> into that limit.
>
> BTW, why would you use a consumer grade device in a colo site? It likely
> couldn't handle the load if those servers were busy.

1. Cost.

2. The servers never saturate the 100Mb/s connection.

3. I wanted the switch mostly to accommodate the out-of-band remote
access cards. I don't really care if that interface is slow but if it
slows down the main interface to 10Mb/s half-duplex, that's a problem.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis