PC Routers

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 21:14:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 03:33:27PM -0500, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>> Can you give some examples of such routers, please? Do any of them
>> support wireless "N"? I have a friend looking for a router to
>> replace his existing ISP-supplied router that is apparently not
>> flexible enough. I had set up IPCop for him years ago but the PC on
>> which it was running died and he would rather have an "appliance"
>> that doesn't have any moving parts. I figure we can meet his needs
>> and still have something that is based on Linux by using one of
>> these Atheros MIPS24k routers you mentioned.
>
> Well I use a dual band DIR-825 which is a 600MHz MIPS24k with abgn support
> (2.4 and 5ghz bands using all types).
>
> There are some cheaper models that are single band only (so bgn).

Ah, so like this...?
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/d-link-xtreme-wireless-n-router-dir-825/10111490.aspx

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-825

And the OpenWRT project has a pretty decent directory of hardware they support:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

There aren't terribly many routers on their list with 64MB of storage,
so there's not a *huge* selection to pick from.  That's not
necessarily a bad thing, as long as the models are reasonably
available.

Also rather interesting is the CeroWRT project:
<http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt>   Note that the one
model (Netlink WNDR3700) on which it runs is available for $99 at
FutureShop/BestBuy: WNDR3700-100PAS