PC Routers

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 20:33:27 UTC 2011

On 12/08/2011 05:59 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 04:54:41PM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
>> My suggestion would be to get a commercial router that can be
>> re-flashed with OpenWRT and/or Tomato Linux (I am rather partial to
>> the Linksys WRT54GL type routers, but there are others). This means
>> you have Linux level security, along with small footprint, and low
>> power consumption. Best of all worlds. If you don't need wireless that
>> can be turned off via the configuration menus and/or files (and for
>> the truly paranoid you can remove the antennas...).
>
> WRT54GL specificaly is ancient, slow, resource limited, broadcom based
> (a rather bad thing for wifi drivers in general), and runs rather hot.
>
> Really, what's to like?
>
> One of the Atheros MIPS24k based with 64MB ram on the other hand and
> USB2 and such is way more interesting.

Can you give some examples of such routers, please? Do any of them
support wireless "N"? I have a friend looking for a router to replace
his existing ISP-supplied router that is apparently not flexible enough.
I had set up IPCop for him years ago but the PC on which it was running
died and he would rather have an "appliance" that doesn't have any
moving parts. I figure we can meet his needs and still have something
that is based on Linux by using one of these Atheros MIPS24k routers you
mentioned.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay