Bash question

jim cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 01:08:01 UTC 2011

Hi,
I have a bash or scripting question. I have a few hundred files in a
directory, They have file names formatted similar to below:
6230718_1puJ0P8Z_file1.pdf
6230718_b9nP4YtD_file2.pdf
6230718_O1F0Qj0p_file3.pdf
6233064_c9yOocTq_file4.pdf
6233064_ON8OdanT_file5.pdf
6233064_X64AbjZZ_file6.pdf

I want to take all the files that have the same 7 digit numbers at the
front end of the file names and join the PDF files. There are not always
3 files associated with the same 7 digit number. Sometimes there are
more or less than 3 pdf files to join. I figured I can use pdftk to join
the files but trying to figure out how to easily select and sort a
random number of PDFs has me a bit stumped. Any takers?
Thanks,
Jim