Did XDMX get replaced?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 00:35:25 UTC 2011

I want to use a monitor on another machine to extend the X desktop on
my current machine.  Not dual head, or at least not in the expected
way: each monitor is attached to its own computer.  Years ago, XDMX
was the solution to this particular problem, but XDMX appears to be
completely abandoned.  There are packages in Debian, but notes online
suggest that the only thing you can get out of those packages are
segfaults (and that was my experience after a lot of work about a year
ago).  The people who have got it working are suggesting you dig out
xdmx packages from etch, which seems just a little too old to be
practical.

Synergy is nice and I like it, but it's not what I'm looking for in
this instance.  I want to be able to drag a window between the two (or
more) monitors.

Is there some other way to do this, or has anybody had success with
recent builds of xdmx?  Thanks.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/