Sound problems in Squeeze

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 16 15:47:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:41:47AM -0500, Neil Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:39:18PM -0500, Neil Watson wrote:
> >ettin:/etc/pulse# aplay
> >ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> >aplay: main:654: audio open error: Device or resource busy
> >ettin:/etc/pulse# !fuse
> >fuser -v /dev/snd/* /dev/dsp*
> >                    USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
> >/dev/dsp:            neil       3559 F.... wfica
>
> After further testing I think this is the problem.  This is the Citrix
> remote client.  When it is running Alsa seems to be broken which in turn
> breaks Pulseaudio.  Now to think of some way to fix it.

You can create an asoundrc file that makes pulseaudio the default audio
device for alsa using programs.  After all if the citrix client hogs alsa,
pulseaudio (and hence just about everything else) has no way to use it.

A google search should find recipes for doing this.

What I am using is:

lennartsorensen at lennartsorensen:~$ cat .pulse/client.conf
autospawn = no

(This for some reason helped let pulseaudio start properly).

I thought I had created a .asoundrc file as well, but apparently in the
end I didn't.

--
Len Sorensen