Interesting announcement on Dylan...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 12 23:08:23 UTC 2011

For the "language geeks" around...
http://opendylan.org/news/2011/12/10/new_release.html

I had been under the impression that Dylan was fairly much a "dead language."
(For those not familiar, it's kind of like a cross between C++ and
Lisp.  It uses C++-like syntax, but is a dynamic language that does
functional application and garbage collection...  The project was
started by a bunch of Lispers notably including David Moon, and,
during the pre-Steve-Jobs days, it was being sponsored by Apple.)

The encouraging bit is that the developers have succeeded at removing
about 1/3 of the code base, which evidently related to supporting
platforms that effectively no longer exist or that are basically
uninteresting today (Old MacOS, IRIX, SunOS, OSF3, PPC backend, Java
backend).  Outright removal of obsolete code should make it easier to
support and perhaps even improve it.

I'm not sure that Dylan will be the would-be C successor to "shake the
world."  (Of anything currently available, the most plausible to
succeed C seems to me to be Go.)  But it's a nice thing to see a bit
of a success in deploying a new version/release.

See it at GitHub, if you like...
https://github.com/dylan-lang/