PC Routers

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 9 00:24:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Scott Allen <mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 8 December 2011 17:59, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> WRT54GL specificaly is ancient, slow, resource limited, broadcom based
>> (a rather bad thing for wifi drivers in general), and runs rather hot.
>>
>> Really, what's to like?
>
> The price? I got one from NCIX on sale for $25, although it was a
> Linksys certified refurb.

Exactly, I've gotten a couple of free early WRT54G (OpenWRT/Tomato
compatible) routers from people upgrading to 802.11n routers. Are the
WRT54G/WRT54GL's perfect? Obviously no, but they have a smaller
footprint than almost any PC, they consume far less power than almost
all PCs and the price can not be beaten. As Lennart notes there are
some routers that have better power consumption numbers, better
drivers and a longer list of features, all at a MUCH higher price.

Regardless, I stand by the view that OpenWRT or Tomato Linux running
on a commercial router (be it an inexpensive one (like the WRT54GL) or
a feature rich one (like the Atheros MIPS24k based ones)) is in MOST
situations a much better option than a PC running Coyote Linux.

Colin