GTALug (Greater Toronto Area Linux User Group) PAC (Political Action Committee).

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 18:46:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Mel Wilson <mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> PAC is a legal term in the Excited States.  They're regulated in regard to
>> how much we can contribute and how much they can spend and how much they can
>> contribute to candidates.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_action_committee
>
> Except for now, when they're not.  I regret I don't have the links to
> Stephen Colbert where he's explaining how this works.

Yeah, when I lived in Texas, I got bugged by the "Sabre PAC" as a
consequence of working at Sabre.  They were pretty keen on having
employees participate in PAC, so as to make sure Beltway "gravy train"
activities were suitably influenced in favour of them.

At the time, it appeared that I, as a foreign national, was legally
precluded from involvement in that.  At least, I took that reading of
things; it allowed for some fun readings of things.  "You see, I'm a
foreign national; you know it's improper for foreigners to interfere
in American politics, right?"

It made the Sabre staff that called a tad mental; I *sounded* "pretty
American" to them (when in Texas, I got a bit of "Yankee" reaction,
'cause from down there, we're all 'up North'), so it kept surprising
them that I *wasn't* a citizen.