Mind mapping software, was Re: Is KDE 4 Stable?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 7 05:31:49 UTC 2011

On 12/06/2011 02:57 PM, Giles Orr wrote:
> I understand your discomfort with Java-based software, but have for
> several years been using FreeMind very happily despite it being
> Java-based.  I think it's the only Java-based software I use at home
> (not so at work, where we use Eclipse).  I've found FreeMind to be the
> most flexible of the several mind-mapping softwares I've tried, and
> two other reasons I settled on it were A) entirely cross-platform
> (behaves identically under Windows and Linux), and B) it stores its
> files in a non-proprietary format ... XML.  And my respect for it was
> sealed when I fired up Thinking Space (mind-mapping software for
> Android, also highly recommended) and found that it uses the same file
> format and opens FreeMind files flawlessly.

Thank you, Giles. Thanks to the issue with Thunderbird where I don't see
unread messages in the TLUG folder until I actually remember to click on
it, I didn't notice any messages sent to the list since the weekend.

On the weekend, I had installed Freemind and decided to re-create the
mind maps that I had previously created in Semantik because FM couldn't
read Semantik's file format. It worked quite well and you're right, it
is a usable Java application. Other than the characteristically Java UI,
I couldn't tell it's written in Java.

I installed a Trac plug-in so that I could display the FM-created mind
maps on a Trac wiki page. It uses a Flash player to render the mind
maps. There are a few things that disappeared along the way, like the
styling of hyperlinks in the text within bubbles, but by and large, it
works fine.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay